Music Festival Coachella Returns to the Valley

Stephanie Nguyen, Junior Writer

If you have seen people sporting their flower crowns over the weekend, it is because the annual music festival, Coachella, has returned. Formally known as Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, the event took place at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, California, which is located Inland Empire’s Coachella Valley for the first weekend: April 14 to the 17th. Thousands of people prepared themselves with festival makeup and attire to see artists like Lady Gaga, Lorde, Kendrick Lamar, Radiohead, and more. This anticipated occasion is the dream of any music and concert enthusiast. Lucky for those who attended, they witnessed surprises that would not have been available anywhere else.

Throughout the live music venue, celebrities like Kylie Jenner, Rihanna, Selena Gomez, and Nick Jonas were spotted rocking out to the performances. Drake and Migos made a surprise visit and performed with fellow rapper, Future, sending the crowd into a frenzy. Later on the second day of Coachella, headliner Lady Gaga performed, replacing Beyonce after she had to drop out due to her pregnancy. Gaga had a huge announcement, where she debuted her new single, “The Cure,” before it was properly released a day later. The people that attended the music festival got the opportunity to be the first-listeners of the track, which according to kworb.net, a site that collects and analyses music data, has already stolen the number one spot on the Worldwide iTunes Song Chart. This was not the only music debut, for another artist took this opportunity to release music from her upcoming album, “Melodrama.” Lorde played the audience the new track, “Homemade Dynamite,” which featured the signature pop sound.

The weekend of Coachella was a memorable one, especially for those who attended. The annual event evidently lives up to its reputation of being the most anticipated live music festival. With appearances from Drake and Migos and the release of new music, the audience has a lot to talk about when they return back to normal life from this music gateway. This is only the first weekend of Coachella; who can tell what other surprises will occur when the music festival comes back for the second weekend.