Lady Gaga Gets Personal in New Album, Joanne

Stephanie Nguyen, Junior Writer

Three years after Artpop, American singer Lady Gaga has come back with her fifth studio album, Joanne. On October 21, 2016, produced through Streamline and Interscope Records, Lady Gaga dropped Joanne with eleven tracks, and fourteen tracks in the deluxe version for fans to listen to. With mixed reviews on her last album, Gaga is determined to impress listeners, which she succeeds in when Joanne appeared as #1 on the Billboard 200, making it her fourth number one album. Known for her iconic upbeat pop songs, such as “Poker Face,” and “The Edge of Glory,” Lady Gaga introduces a more mature sound in Joanne.

Not only is Lady Gaga known for her outspoken, infamous fashion, her music reflects a wild, electropop genre, which dramatically changes in Joanne. The “Poker Face” singer incorporates bluesey, country, and soft rock in this album, where she shares personal topics. This is best represented in the track, “Hey Girl,” which features Florence Welch. Specifically, there is a lot of jazzy tones in this song. Gaga starts off with a ripple of oohs, which effortlessly goes with the slow beat. Florence Welch’s well-known calm voice is a perfect match to Gaga’s strong vocals. Singing, “hey girl,” back and forth, the two artists symbolizes the importance of women having the back of other women, stating that, “If you lose your way, just know that I got you.” The power of women is also evident in a bonus song on the deluxe album, “Grigio Girls,” which has a strong country vibe. In an interview with Radio.com, Gaga uses a friend who was diagnosed with cancer as inspiration, “about womanhood and sticking together and encouraging one another and teaching each other that it’s ok to cry together and need one another, and that we can’t do it alone.” Gaga expresses this message in an uplifting way with voices of girls yelling, “Yeah!” to exaggerate the union of women. There are other tracks where Lady Gaga’s vocal ability takes center stage, and one in particular is, “Angel Down.” During an interview with Beats 1’s Zane Lowe, she states that this track is a tribute to Trayvon Martin. With such an emotional subject, Gaga puts an overwhelming amount of passion with the message. At the end of the hard hitting track, she makes a little note with the words of “Trayvon Angel,” sending a trail to chills to whoever is listening.

Lady Gaga’s Joanne, is evidently the most personal album she has yet to release. By deciding to share the story of her friend and having a tribute to the saddening death of Trayvon Martin, Joanne is a collection of emotional topics. A shift from “Poker Face,” to “Angel Down,” shows the growth of Gaga’s music and her as a person. To listen to Lady Gaga personal thoughts in Joanne, the heartfelt album can be found on Spotify and iTunes.