I am NOT a Victim

JR, Sophomore Writer

ABC 7 News recently issued a segment on bullying, providing an encouraging video about a girl, Mia, who shared her story regarding being beaten by a group of her peers. Because of Mia’s strong message, people from all around the world came to her with their own bullying experiences. They felt courageous and regained strength within themselves, allowing Mia’s inspiration to spread. Mia chose a different approach; she turned her experience into an end for bullying. From the video, Mia stated she will NOT be a victim and will constantly repost the video until this matter is officially settled.

Bullying is the easiest crime to commit, but it’s also the easiest way to hurt someone for life. Words can hurt a person. Words can leave teens feeling insecure or to change their perspective about themselves. Cyberbulling has become especially popular with the dawn of Snapchat and Twitter as bullying can now be done through the internet and it’s the simplest way to do it. We live in a generation where every little thing is recorded within the internet and it’s used as a weapon with two outcomes. The internet can be used for bullying, but could give the bullied a chance to stop bullying. Mia was able to stand up to her bullies which gave many others who saw the video a chance to regain strength within themselves and inspiration to probably perform the same tactic. She turned cyberbulling upside down.  Times have changed and now we all have access to the technology that can make a difference.

You can watch the ABC7 report here: http://abc7chicago.com/news/teen-turns-beating-video-into-powerful-message-against-bullying/1183433/