In Defense of Cat People

© Getty Images

© Getty Images

Sebastiano Masi, Junior Writer

Now, I know what your thinking: “Sebastiano, what are YOU doing HERE, spreading your cat nonsense to this website. Haven’t you already done enough?” And my response to that is 1) How dare you stop my feline love and 2) This article is about the speech team, mostly. It’s about speeches about cats.
Now, the number one, unsaid rule about writing for the speech team is that your speech must be “important,” and because all of the “important” topics in the world have a tendency to take on slightly depressing undertones, the competitions take on an aspect of the same nature. Last year, my speech about depression butted heads with speeches about economic stagnation and racial inequality, which are all good topics, but tend to sour a day. So, when I finally entered the original oratory category, and gained the ability to wr© Getty Images
ite my own speech, I wanted to desperately escape the strangle hold of the serious topics. But, the question remained: How?
The first and easiest way is to pick an important, but slightly odd topic. For me, that is easy, as I have an insight into a plethora of strange, yet “relevant,” areas of the world. I have a love for skyscrapers, and am passionately engaged in the topic of dinosaurs. However, when I brought my rag-tag (and totally not off the top of the head) list of things to write my speech on to Ms. Orr, she instantly picked out the one in the middle: cats. Now we had a topic, but this is where things got challenging. How can I make a speech about tabbies running into walls and being frightened by pickles a comPETitive piece against my opponents speeches about Black Lives Matters and ISIS?
In order to add importance to the speech, I took an odd angle. Ms. Orr suggested we argue the difficulties and stereotypes of cat people, and draw proof on their demoralization from the multi-media, multi-millionaire felines that dance across our screen. For example, I dare you to tell me how Grumpy Cat is a good reflection of us feline lovers to dog-people.  Good luck with that.