Celebrando el Mes de la Herencia Hispana

Dulcemaria Rincon, Junior Writer

All over Chicago, people have been celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month and embracing their cultural differences.

Not only is Hispanic Heritage Month celebrated to honor Hispanic diversity, it is to commemorate Hispanic countries for their

independence days.
At DePaul Prep, Spanish Club hosted their annual ​Hispanic Heritage Month Fiesta, which kicked off homecoming week on September 16th.

Spanish Club members offered the DePaul Prep community with a variety of different foods, including empanadas, arroz con gandules, guacamole, empanadillas, any much more.

Club moderator, Sra. Escárpita, brought a piñata for the students to break. Many were enthusiastic all throughout the fiesta as they were able to break the piñata, enjoy delicious, traditional, Hispanic foods, and overall, come together as a community to celebrate Hispanic culture.

A small portion of DePaul’s students arrived from public schools. These schools primarily consist of Latino/Hispanic and African-American backgrounds.

“It is important to celebrate Hispanic cultures at DePaul to show a spectrum of diversity at parochial schools because the majority of students attending private schools are not minorities.” said junior, Kiara Ruiz.

In addition to the Fiesta at DePaul, Santa Maria del Popolo, a parish in Mundelein, hosted the “Festival Fiestas Patrias” on September 15th. On that date in 1821, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua, all declared their independence from Spain.

This event had live music, traditional folkloric dances, and a variety of food. Hispanics from all over Mundelein came together on one of the most important days of Hispanic Heritage Month. Families, couples, children, teens, and everyone in between joined as one huge community.

“Hispanics tend to hide sometimes, so it is important to show how united we all are.”said sophomore, Alexandra Dávalos.

Having these events at a private school allows for Hispanic individuals to feel included and appreciated.

On a personal note; before high school, I attended a primarily Latino/Hispanic elementary school, where I shared a cultural identity with the community. Going into DePaul, I became aware of the different backgrounds and hoped to find people that I could connect with.

My freshman year, I joined Spanish Club and felt a sense of the diversity that DePaul consists of. The celebrations that have been hosted by Spanish Club has had a great impact on me in the sense that I have grown to feel like a part of an integral community.

Over the years, I have grown to embrace my Mexican heritage and am proud to call myself a part of the Hispanic community.