DePaul College Prep Presents The Gift of the Magi

Rachel Griffin, Freshman Writer

The DePaul College Prep Theater Society will be putting on its winter play, Gift of the Magi, this weekend. The DePaul Prep choir will also be performing in the play.

The play will take place at the brand new DePaul University Theater at 2350 North Racine, on Depaul’s Lincoln Park campus. There will be three performances. The first one is Friday at 7:00pm. If you are unable to make it on Friday, there will be two more shows on Saturday at 2:00pm and 7:00pm. Tickets are $10. Everyone is encouraged to come support!

The Gift of the Magi is a sweet and sour romance comedy about a young couple. They spend Christmas trying their hardest to buy one another a gift. They realize that they don’t need gifts. As long as they are together, they are happy.” said Zoey Ortiz, a freshman who plays a shopkeeper in the play.

The Gift of the Magi is a take on O. Henry’s short story, Gift of the Magi.

This cast has worked so hard to put the play together. When asked what difficulties they have faced Ortiz talked about how it was difficult to balance her schedule, as she is also a basketball player on the freshman team. She went on to explain how hard it was for her to open up, being a new actress. “It’s tiring, becoming a new actor, but it is so much fun” says Ortiz.

The cast as a whole has also faced some challenges.

Freshmen Ava Lobough explained that usually they would spend a week in the theater space right before the play. This is known as “tech week”. Lobough says “We spend from 3:30 to 10:00pm in the space with a one hour break.” She knows that the hard work will pay off once they actually perform. This year they only get three days before the actual show, which makes it difficult to become familiar with their stage.

“It’s a highly creative group who have a lot of really good ideas,” says the play’s director Mr. Bryant. Their goal is to tell the story of how the characters got their outcome in a genuine way. Although the play is truly an ensemble effort, Mr. Bryant says to “watch out for Gabriel Owens and Daden Gabryszewski…they will surprise you.”