Finals Prep at Depaul Prep

Ali El-Moussaoui and Michael Elzinga, Senior Writers

As all students know, finals are a crucial point in the school year— and guess what? It’s that time of the year, Rams.

The 2018 Fall Semester finals are quickly approaching, and it’s time to prepare. All finals will begin Monday, December 17th, and finish Thursday, December 20th. They will occur from 8:25 am to 11:05 am, allowing you an hour and fifteen minutes— unless you are eligible for extended time. All retakes will take place Friday, December 21st.
The stakes are high and students are expected to make sure their grades are up to par. Teachers, students, and counselors alike are trying their hardest to make sure that finals go well.

However, there’s no need to worry!

If you’re in need for extra help, DePaul’s very own National Honors Society is offering free tutoring sessions for students. Peer tutoring sessions will take place from Monday, December 10th to Friday, December 14th from 7-7:30am and 3-4pm.

Students in need of assistance with their language classes must contact Ms. Bidstrup, Mr. Perez, or Mr. Saines.

All language tutoring sessions will take place in room 310; the same times apply for the language appointments.

Students who desire extra help in some of their classes will benefit from attending these sessions. If you’re still struggling after a couple of sessions, it is highly recommended to follow up with your teachers in regards for studying tools.

If you need some words of encouragement or advice from fellow students, here they are:

According to senior Ali El-Moussaoui, “organizing your study schedule prior to finals week can be overwhelming.” As a soon to be graduate from DePaul College Prep, he has learned to take the advice of teachers and students around him to help shape his studying habits.

Ali states that he has come to a conclusion that studying two weeks prior to your first test should be the earliest you begin studying. On the other hand, a week prior should be the latest you start. Therefore, the ideal time to begin studying is a week and a half before your first test.

In recent experiences, he realized he is more engaged in his studying when doing short stints of intense reviewing over material. He will begin with the subject at hand, and study for 20-30 minutes, but then take a brief 15 minute break, repeatedly doing this for 1-2 hours every night until the day of exam.

Mr. Prosser, one of the instructors for the EDGE program held at DePaul College Prep, advises students that “finding the right environment, getting to a place where you know you can study well, with no distractions is most important. If your home isn’t a good fit, then go to a library or coffee shop.” Additionally, Mr. Prosser gave advice on whether or not you should study with a partner, explaining how you should “pick educated people to help you study for specific subjects, don’t make it a social event if you study with friends, make sure it’s people that you know will focus on the task at hand.”

Mr. Affinitio, another instructor in charge for the EDGE program, added “I’ll start with with studying whatever subject I struggle with most and continue towards the subject I am most comfortable with.”

Senior Jesse Ajao said, “music helps me focus on whatever I’m doing. I like listening to music while studying for exams. It helps me calm down and really think about the material in front of me.”

“Finals week can be very busy and stressful. Students should prepare and plan out clear chunks of time and stick to a schedule and prioritize what finals fall on what days” said Mr. Cadwallader, a history and journalism teacher.

“Rote memorization is not the most effective way to study. Make sure you understand the concepts and big ideas instead of solely remembering word-for-word definitions and ideas.The brain thrives on making connections, so learning something in isolation of a bigger idea is not an effective strategy of studying” stated Mrs. Rand, a counselor and english teacher.

“Do not spend time trying to figure out how to shortcut your final. You would be surprised to know that research tells us some students spend more time trying to figure out how to shortcut a final and do worse when during that time they couldn’t simply been preparing and done better” explained Mr. Connor, the sophomore boys basketball coach and math teacher.

“My strategies for finals is to study for a class each day leading up to finals and to ask my teachers questions regarding the final and the material” said Bradley Pyke, a senior.

“I will break each subject into study sessions every day, and I will balance my wrestling and soccer practices” stated Richie Martinez, a junior.

Overall, there is a theme of preparation in order to do well. Students should all be prepared for finals in some way, and hopefully, finals will be a success. For the time being, make sure you bring up your grades as high as you can, and remember to get lots of rest, and eat some brain food! Wishing you all the best, and as always, go Rams!