All-In for Thanksgiving

Dulcemaria Rincon, Junior Writer

On November 22, people from all over the United States will celebrate Thanksgiving with their loved ones.

Students from DePaul College Prep and other schools across the country have a Thanksgiving break to enjoy their time with families.

At DePaul, there is a diverse student-body that makes up the school. Students spend their breaks in various ways because of their different cultural backgrounds.

“So on Thanksgiving break, I usually go to Mexico. Since Mexico doesn’t celebrate Thanksgiving, everyone in our family goes to my uncle’s house and we order Little Caesar’s Pizza and we eat all together after we pray. Then we watch a scary movie on Netflix,” answered Melanie Guadarrama, a sophomore at DePaul Prep.

Even though Guadarrama spends her Thanksgiving break in another country, she still gets together with her family. She spends time with her uncles, aunts, grandparents, and cousins.

Classmate Mia Anderson, spends her Thanksgiving in her hometown of Michigan City, Indiana.

“In the morning we have a turkey bowl and it is everybody from my hometown.” At their turkey bowl, the Anderson family plays football together and enjoys fresh donuts and coffee. “After that, we have a big family dinner.”

Having a week off from school and work allows everyone to enjoy time with their families.

Evelyn Puma, a junior at DePaul, gets together with her family at her grandmother’s house to celebrate. “We’re not the type of people to have a big table. We all do our own thing, pray before we eat and then just eat,” she said.

Puma believes, “It is an important day but people need to remember that this day isn’t the only day to be thankful.”

At the Rincón household, every Thanksgiving is different. Sometimes, we will go out of town and other times we stay home and celebrate.

No matter where Thanksgiving is celebrated, everyone will come together and spend time with family and loved ones.