Wrestling Season Heats Up

Santiago Carnalla, Junior Writer

As the days get shorter, and the wind chill drops near the negatives, wrestling season begins.

The chase for DePaul Prep’s first regional title in six years officially begins on November 5th, as the Rams trade their fall sports equipment for a singlet and headgear.

The Rams are coming off a very successful previous season. Boasting 4 state qualifiers, 4 regional champions, 12 sectional qualifiers and most duel meet wins in recent DCP history (11).

All while retaining 11 out of the 13 man roster from last year’s squad.

Much more overall team experience, depth in the weight classes, and growth in team size predict that the Rams will have an even more successful year.

The DePaul Prep community has a chance to see first hand an average, yet arduous practice taking place inside Tom Winiecki Gymnasium, as the Rams host their annual Open-Practice. It will take place on November 17.

Speaking with Coach Herffernan, Head Coach and a former Division 1 wrestler for the UniversIty of Illinois and Urbana Champaign, he summarized the values wrestling will instill in an athlete, “it will instill discipline, hard work, dedication”.

The Rams prepare for the first dual-meet of the year. Taking place on November 20th, against St. Ignatius and St. Francis Wheaton.

“The expectations for this year have mainly remained the same, More dual meet wins, more state qualifiers, a regional team championship, and more individual regional champions.” said Heffernan.