Does the Grading Scale Score an F?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Does the Grading Scale Score an F?

Kiara Ruiz, Freshman Writer

At DePaul College Prep the standards are high for students. As a college prep school students are pushed to do their best. With this comes some challenges that other schools may not face. The grading scale at the school is higher than in most public high schools, and some catholic high schools. At DePaul College Prep the grading scale for an A is from 100%-93%, a B is from 92%-85%, a C is from 84%-77%, a D is from 76%-70% and, an F is from 69%-0%. With these higher standards comes much more pressure from school. With this abnormal grading scale the students are challenged, but is it too much? This grading scale may be doing more harm then benefits. The grading scale at DePaul College Prep is too high. The DePaul College Prep scale makes it so that when colleges see our transcripts it seems like we did not work as hard as other schools. Lowering the scale would be also beneficial because students would be less stressed which would promote more learning instead of stressing. Finally lowering the scale would more students would join clubs and sports.

When applying to colleges they look at multiple aspects of the applicant, but a high percentage is the gpa a student got in high school. Now while it may not be impossible this grading system makes getting a 4.0 g.p.a much harder. According to College Simply if you’re gpa is lower than a 3.75 Harvard is a reach school. This means that if you have any B’s Harvard will most likely not accept you. Even if you don’t want to go to Harvard if you want to go to a good school it will most likely be competitive. With a grading scale so high it seems like students may have slacked off in high school instead of trying their best.

In high school, students are stressed. This is a well known fact. However when students are stressed they are much less productive. With a higher grading scale students are going to be more stressed if they are striving for high grades. When you are striving for high grades you do all your assignments especially your homework. According to an article published by Stanford “A Stanford researcher found that too much homework can negatively affect kids, especially their lives away from school, where family, friends and activities matter.” This shows how with a higher grading scale kids can be more stressed out when doing homework and other schoolwork, and how this can negatively impact them.

Clubs are an important part of high school. They help with the social aspect and can sometimes be an escape to students who need a distraction from things. However most student do not allow themselves to get too involved with school activities because they are so focused on their grades. Now the opposition may say if the grading scale was lowered that wouldn’t mean everyone would start to get straight A’s and people would become social butterflies. However with a lower grading scale these things would be much more likely to occur. These potential benefits would really strengthen some people’s school lives. According to an article published by the Chicago Tribune called Participation in student activities linked to academic success the correlation does exist, you can see from this quote “If her grades fall below a certain level she would not be allowed to play. That’s enough for the middle blocker from La Grange Highlands to stay on course academically.” In this case the student talked about was able to maintain both. However at this school the grading scale is on the 10% scale. This shows how this is possible if students are given the proper tools to achieve success by having a fair grading scale.

In all the grading scale at DePaul College Prep is too high. It is unfair to students and does more harm than good. You can see this through how it impacts students college acceptance. How stressed student become due to it. And, how students are less inclined to join sports and clubs because they are so focused on their grades. The DePaul College Prep grading scale should be lowered to the 10% scale. So that 100%-90% would be an A etc. Lowering the scale would be very beneficial to the not only the students, but to the school as a whole.