2018 Met Gala: Beautiful or Blasphemous?

Alyssa Brandon, Senior Writer

On May 8th, 2018, the annual Met Gala took place in New York City. Every year, the Met Gala has a overall theme, in which guests dress to impress. This year’s theme was, “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination,” which brought multiple mixed reactions to the festivities. With celebrities such as Rihanna wearing a pope ensemble, and Katy Perry dressed as a guardian angel, many people were offended, and made it known.

I personally was very torn on the theme, because although the outfits were beautiful and heavenly, it did not feel right watching Rihanna arrive in a sexy pope outfit. Many people found the theme to be beautiful and all the outfits looked incredible and stunning, and thought the theme was beautifully executed. I interviewed senior Anna Garzon and asked her about how she felt about the theme this year. She stated, “ I really liked the theme and I thought it was very elegant and well executed. I loved watching the celebrities get creative with their outfits and stepping out of their comfort zone. I also thought  it was cool that the Cardinal supported the theme of the Met Gala and wanted to bridge fashion with religion.”

Although the Met Gala has received a lot of praise, there are many people who called the theme blasphemous, and believed that the stars were mocking the Catholic religion by dressing as Jesus, angels, popes, and historical church figureheads. To get the perspective of those who did not agree with this year’s theme, I asked senior, Cyan Andalis how she felt about the theme. She said, “ I think it was wrong for the celebrities such as Rihanna to be dressed as a sexy pope, or for Jared Leto to try and impersonate Jesus. I felt that this year’s theme was not thought out well and I feel as if it was blasphemous.”

I personally enjoyed the theme this year because I loved how creative and inspired the celebrities and stylist got with the outfits, hair, and makeup. A few of my favorites included Zendaya, who wore a Joan of the Arc inspired outfit, Blake Lively, who wore a stunning Valentino gown, and Gigi Hadid, who wore a dress inspired by the stain glass windows in churches. I love the Met Gala because the theme is always creative, and celebrities wear the most stunning and interesting outfits to go with whatever the theme is, I cannot wait to see what the theme is next year, and see what the celebrities will wear.