Why Aren’t We Promoting Our Hockey Team?

Michael Guerrero, Junior Writer

For about a decade now, Chicago has been known as a “hockey town” that prides itself on the sport ever since the Chicago Blackhawks hoisted the Stanley Cup for the first time in forty-nine years. Yet, when walking down the halls of DePaul College Prep, hockey is an ignored and forgotten sport. It’s not to say nobody from DePaul plays hockey, which would be far from the case. In fact, DePaul College Prep has for years now had the opportunity to partner with multiple Chicago Public Schools, including but not limited to Lane Tech, in order to create a hockey team. However, despite being a member of the team for years, DePaul is yet to advertise for the team’s games in any way, which refrains members on the team to be recognized for their accomplishments, which is a missed opportunity to be a well-rounded community in both pride and spirit.
    Just across the Addison bride, Lane Tech stands, founder of the joint hockey team shared with DePaul and many other schools, including their rival Taft High School. Despite being rivals, these two teams have one thing in common. They love to hype up and advertise their sports. Taft sends out weekly emails to every student, giving the day, time, and location of every single game, including hockey, that week. Lane Tech has an entire website dedicated to promoting hockey to their students. However, things are different at DePaul College Prep. The sports website used here, 8to18, does not have a section for hockey. There is not a social media page dedicated to recognizing hockey. Athletic Director Paul Chabura said the school’s methods of advertising consist of “Old fashioned P.A. systems you guys’ here me, y’know games played, games not being played, congratulations, such and such. The new website actually has blurbs about what took place, especially positives, some success that transpired.” Although there are games announced, and blurbs being written, there is yet to be one mention of hockey. However, it should be noted that Coach Paul Chabura believes that “What you find is the best promotion for athletic contests is word of mouth.”

On the flip side, DePaul College Prep is still a growing school, small in numbers. There is time for DePaul to grow in promoting, as the school grows. It may be best depicted by Admissions counselor Dan Galante. “ I think we do a good job of promoting our sports here… I think everyone’s numbers are down because there really are no teams overloaded with seniors. So i think that’s something that’s going to continue to grow over the next few years. You know as the size of the school grows and as the incoming freshmen classes grow, you know everyone’s programs are going to have more participants.” Moreover, in this bright future that DePaul Prep is headed for, promoting hockey might be easier than it appears. 

Although word of mouth may be sufficient for some to advertise hockey at DePaul, others feel it is only sufficient to an extent. Junior and Varsity forward, John Insko, felt there was a significant lack of advertising for the sport, and pointed out that, “The only time hockey was ever advertised was during the winter sports pep rally when I was asked last minute if I could get the hockey players and walk out.” However, criticizing won’t fill the bleachers either. In fact the solution might be much more simple than students spreading the word, or waiting for the school to grow. “I think there are ways they [DePaul Prep] could advertise for hockey, such as mentioning when there are games in the city… and encouraging students to go in order to shed more light on the hockey program.” Moreover, it seems the first, and perhaps only step, in better promoting DePaul’s joint hockey team might be recognizing it as part of the school community, and giving it the same pride any other sport.