Mock Trial Continues Celebratory Streak

Stephanie Nguyen, Editor in Chief

Order in the court! The DePaul Prep Mock Trial team had brought home another victory and a continuation of their success since last year. Participating in the annual Howlett Cup Mock Trial competition from March 23 to 24, the case this year was Lovell v. Sainsbury, a civil case concerning a DUI and the reckless driving. Despite losing many graduating members, the Mock Trial team’s prosecution team has managed to score a win over Fenwick High School, and the defense team won against Mount Carmel High school on the following day. Completing on this year’s competition, the Mock Trial team reflect on their success.

This year, he Mock Trial team faced the new and some repeated obstacles. Teacher sponsor, Ms. Rodriguez explained the struggles of recruiting a team after a majority of last year’s members have graduated. She discusses how the team was missing the core four lawyers. However, a miracle arose and Ms. Rodriguez explained that, “On the plus side, five veteran witnesses, three seniors and two juniors, returned to compete. We also recruited several talented students, senior Alyssa Brandon, juniors David Wu and Dash Grabryzewski, and sophomore Daphne Rodriguez. From team captain, senior Yeshay Choden’s point of view, “As the captain and friend to the members it was hard especially with having to make sure everything goes smoothly in a practice. Having to measure up to the coaches expectations while not stressing out the team too was very hard.” DePaul Prep’s Mock Trial team recruitment had been an obstacle that the team faced, and the risks of not having a team this year was a possible reality, as Yeshay adds that, “With the decision of Mock Trial not staying in the Howlett Cup due to lack of witness and taking the opportunities away from my underclassmen. It was a huge decision I had to take both as a senior and team captain.” Fortunately, the Mock Trial team pulled themselves together and managed to bring back news of success. When asked what the proudest moment the Mock Trial team had together, Ms. Rodriguez gushed, “There were two: (1) when the results were announced, we learned our team had won both of its matches, defeating the strong teams fielded by Fenwick and Mt. Carmel, and junior David Wu earned a Best Advocate Award; and (2) during the post- Howlett Cup Mock Trial competition lunch together, when the team and coaches wished our seniors good luck and good-bye!” For Yeshay Choden, she was content that they had won their cases. She continues wishing good luck for the future Mock Trial team.

As the Mock Trial season comes to a close, Ms. Rodriguez shared her hopes and goals for the next year, saying that, “The fact that our students have consistently worked hard and done well at the competition certainly keeps the volunteer attorney coach, Dan Winters, coming back for another season.  Well, we’ll have to replace three seniors, so recruiting talented students early will be essential! Also, we’re planning to take the team to Harvard next year for the annual Mock Trial seminar for student teams from around the country!” Once again, congratulations to DePaul Prep’s Mock Trial team for not only being victorious at the Howlett Cup competition but also for always showing what it means to be #RamTough!