A Review of La Presa Mexican Restaurant

Marc Nistor, Senior Writer

The La Presa Restaurant is a traditional style restaurant located in the Suburb of Mt. Prospect. The restaurant’s intent is extremely clear: to bring authentic Mexican food into an area which lacks an abundance of such restaurants. On an initial impression, it seems like La Presa succeeds at its intent very well and for good reason. The restaurant is kept up to clean standards, although it is unknown whether that’s just because it just opened. The restaurant features the traditional Mexican cuisine you might expect, along with a few specialty items.  

The Mt.Prospect area is not very well known for their prominence of traditional Mexican cuisine. In that case, it is very evident that the owners of the restaurant are attempting to capture a market which is extremely popular throughout the United States and even Mt.Prospect. In this area, fast food restaurants such as Taco Bell and Chipotle are one of the few restaurants with some attempt on traditional Mexican cuisine. This allows La Presa to bring in a more traditional experience which allows them to capture the crowd which seeks their food to be more authentic. If the owners gamble on creating a Mexican restaurant in an area which has a lack of many, he will be extremely well off.

The menu of the restaurant features classics such as enchiladas, burritos and tacos. In addition, the restaurant also features foods which may not be found in many Mexican restaurants such as fish, soups, and even cooked cactus. The restaurant was opened only two months ago, however it does have a sister restaurant located in Palatine that has existed for several years. 

Because I didn’t want to stick to the traditional foods such as burritos and tacos, I decided to go for one of their specialty items. I ended up choosing the alambre a la presa, a dish served with grilled chicken, steak, potatoes, cheese, and vegetables served on a metal enclosure with a flame directly over it. On initial impressions, I thought that the presentation was quite impressive and the food was pretty good as well. However, in terms of Mexican restaurants that I have experienced in the city, it isn’t anything necessarily special. The food is great overall, however I don’t feel as if it is worth a trip from the city to experience it as there are plenty of Mexican restaurants which offer a similar experience.

When the creators of the restaurant were thinking of their target demographic it is very unlikely they were attempting to target individuals to come from the city to experience their food. Instead, its likely they were targeting the local community and that is perfectly fine. If that is what they were targeting, they succeeded very well as it is a traditional Mexican restaurant with great offerings in an area which has a severe lack for such a restaurant.