Hopeful Vibes into a World Full of Hope: Review on Jung Hoseok’s First Ever Album

Jenny Castaneda, Senior Writer

Roll in the beginning of March, the fan base (A.R.M.Y) of a kpop boy group called BTS (Bangtan sonyeondan a.k.a Bulletproof Boy Scouts) were pleasantly surprised by one of the member’s debut release for his first solo album. This member is Jung Hoseok, a.k.a J-Hope, who is one of the rappers in BTS. The hype for J-Hope’s mixtape release started with the two other rappers, Suga & RM, in the group that released their mixtapes which made the fan base question when he will debut as a solo artist. The wait for the album lasted for years and some questioned whether the rumor of the mixtape was just a rumor or actually true. Throughout interviews with BTS, hints of J-Hope’s album release were said by the other members which made fans hopeful and they anticipated even more. Then soon after, BTS’s Twitter showed a clip of J-Hope in the studio working on a song of his, this made fans go absolutely ballistic while the fan base’s sanity and preparedness was extremely questioned. Nevertheless, fans were supportive and that was proven through social media, consistently posting positive comments especially on Twitter and Instagram. When the mixtape was released, it was well received. The album charted number one on itunes in seventy-five countries while breaking his own band’s record. His video is the fastest to reach one million likes in less then 2 hours. BTS’s music video, DNA, took eight hours to reach one million. This is incredible given the fact that the mixtape is completely free meaning people love the artist enough to support him and this is something only a few can achieve.

What’s Hope World’s purpose? Why did J-Hope create this album? Well, while he was being interviewed by TIME, Hoseok explained by saying, “My fantasy had always been making a music video and performing with music that I had created. I also wanted to put my own story to music and share it with the world. [BTS members] RM and SUGA releasing their own mixtapes was the motivation for my own project. I have been and continue to be deeply influenced by them, from the day we began to where we are today, and I always thought it was awesome that they were telling their own personal stories and making music in their own styles. I started dancing first, but felt I could also tell my story through my music.”

The album contains seven tracks with the first song titled as, Hope World. The song introduces listeners to J-Hope and who he is as a person. Hoseok welcomes listeners to his “hope world” and begins his story, briefly mentioning his outgoing personality with lyrics such as, “I enjoy curses and vulgar language, But I don’t do that in my music,” and “My 20s where I believe in myself and work.” The first song in the album truly transports listeners into a different world as sounds of underwater dives paired with the ripple of a bubbling sensation that sinks into the transition of up-beat tunes. Music knows no boundaries and although the majority can’t understand the Korean lyrics, the production of these tracks are still greatly supported and appreciated because the beats in each song are all very different yet aesthetically enjoyable to listen to. The next track is P.O.P (Piece of Peace) which is another up-beat song. J-Hope explains topics such as his struggle to stardom and how positivity can truly give a person strength to remain hopeful and accomplish life changing goals. Daydream is the third track on the album which discusses his desire to escape this character that he has created for himself because to all fans, he is known as the “ray of sunshine” of the group and seems constantly happy with his wide smile and cheerful attitude. However, in this track J-Hope mentions, “My character’s like half and half. Who knows? Wanna cry in peace, I know. For once I want a different picture in my life.” Hoseok wants to completely be himself without the fear of judgment but to him this seems almost impossible and it’s a dream that he sometimes doesn’t want to wake up from. The mixed production of harsh vocals and growls in Baseline and Hangsang were truly in favor with many fans. Unpredictable cymbals and panning techniques along with amazing adlibs and catchy repetitiveness were too good to be only played once. Baseline discussed J-Hope’s humble beginnings as a street dancer and how life changed for him when he was discovered by Producer and CEO of BigHit Entertainment, Bang Si Hyuk. Hangsang is a track about Hoseok and the six other members of BTS, they are more like brothers than friends and this bond was formed by years of sticking beside each other while overcoming every challenge together. Airplane is a track that includes the sound of a plane soaring through the sky along with peaceful spaced-out notes which transitioned to a mellow neutral beat that wasn’t either fast nor slow. Lastly, the outro,  Blue Side, had less notes and lyrics compared to the rest of the tracks. The song has given off sorrowful vibes yet it was peaceful and the deep-tuned beats gave more life to his music.

The album is a 10/10. It’s a mixtape that can be repeated multiple times and never get tried from. Hoseok’s hard work, effort and time was evident by the music he produced since it isn’t easy being a member of a group, while also creating an album. He made time by squeezing in a couple minutes out of his day to complete this goal. Although the album took more than two years to make, it was worth the wait.

Hoseok’s purpose in creating this album was completely met because each song guided listeners to J-Hope’s journey. He told his story through his lyrics and expressed his emotions through his music. This album is definitely worth listening to, and each track is so different that it is difficult to categorize this into one genre. The styles of music that J-Hope portrays, is so diverse which relates to a wide audience.