Fenty Beauty: Is It Worth the Hype?

Grace O’Neill, Freshman Writer

The Fenty beauty line by Rihanna was a shocker to the beauty world when released. It consists of 40 foundation shades, highlighters, lipsticks, lip glosses, and a primer. When these products were released, the line instantly took off. With the growing popularity of the brand, Rihanna continues to add more products.

While creating the makeup line Rihanna wanted a brand that would stand out from the rest. On the Fenty beauty page it explains, “ Rihanna was inspired to create Fenty Beauty after years of experimenting with the best-of-the-best in beauty—and still seeing a void in the industry for products that performed across all skin types and tones. She launched a makeup line so that women everywhere would be included.” She focuses on a wide range of traditionally hard-to-match skin tones, creating formulas that work for all skin types, and pinpointing universal shades. Because of the void Rihanna had seen in the makeup industry, she was determined to create shades tailored to every skin type and shade, and it is no surprise her products took off. The Fenty brand helped those who had once struggled with finding makeup be able to quickly found their shade. Another key aspect to Rihannas brand is it is completely cruelty free.

Because of the well known popularity of the foundations, I decided to test the primer. The primer is priced at 32 dollars and holds 1.08 FL. OZ. of product, with a shelf life of one year. On the packaging of the product, it displays details about the primer . The bottle is made of glass and has a light tan cap. While using the primer there is a noticeably pleasant smell along with the products light pink color. Once applied there is very soothing feeling on the face as it settles quickly with a matte finish. All around this primer is worth the price. It has a beautiful look and feeling after being applied to the skin. Once the primer dries it allows for a smooth application of a variety of makeup products, without

feeling heavy. It also allowed for otherwise dry patches on the skin to be hydrated and the makeup to apply properly. The primer has received other positive reviews from other buyers. One makeup blogger named Karen says, “ It feels like a lightweight face lotion and dries to a powder finish. While it doesn’t make my pores disappear, I think they do look smaller, and the lines on my forehead (it also vanquishes the shine on my forehead, nose and chin) and around the corners of my mouth look less noticeable.”

All around this primer is a must buy. Rihanna has created a primer that is affective and can be used on any type of skin. Along with her primer she was able to help fill a void in the makeup industry. I’d recommend if you are in need of a new light primer that the Fenty primer is a perfect match.