Everyone Deserves a Great Love Story

Cyan Renee Andalis, Senior Writer

Just last month the movie, Love, Simon premiered in theaters for the first time. The movie focuses on 17 year old Simon Spier who is destined to have a love story just like anyone else, except that he has one big secret. A secret that makes it all a little more difficult because he has not told his family and best friends that he is gay.

Directed by Greg Berlanti Love, Simon truly displays that you are never alone no matter what you are going through in life. A teen romance comedy that has an overall powerful message of love and acceptance for being who you are. Mentioned in MetroWeekly Berlanti mentions, “there were two things I needed to hear after I came out — that I didn’t even realize I needed to hear, and that seemed so obvious. One was that I was still loved. The other was that I deserved love, which I think is different. I think that hearing, as an LGBT person, that you deserve love just as much as anyone else, is, in a way, what the movie’s about, and what Simon’s journey is about, as it draws towards the end of the movie.”

As Simon is in the last year of high school, he goes through a rollercoaster of emotions not having told anyone that he is gay. When an anonymous writer who goes to the same high school comes out on an online confession website, Simon who goes by “Jacques”, reaches out to the anon known as “Blue.” The two exchange emails confiding in one another developing a genuine connection, because of this Simon is guided on his path knowing that he is not alone.

While watching Love, Simon the audience is very well alongside Simon throughout his journey. The cast, featuring Josh Duhamel, Jennifer Garner, Katherine Langford, and Keiynan Lonsdale, just to name a few, does a marvelous job portraying their characters, exuding love and humor in the film. Nick Robinson who plays Simon really has the audience empathizing for him as he goes through this bump in life and overcoming it for the better — and for himself. Throughout the entire time of the film the audience was laughing, cheering, and crying with the characters. The overall film was extremely heartfelt, consistently funny and a touching story; it is so cliche to say, but Love, Simon is a must see for all!

Director Greg Berlanti, the whole cast and crew did an exceptional job getting the message across that everyone deserves love no matter how you identify yourself. The movie is relatable because the audience can identify with something throughout Simon, his family and friends’ journey. Love, Simon showcases what it means to come out today, especially in this age; times have changed since then, there is a lot more openness and understanding, though it can still be challenging. A phenomenal movie, especially for the LGBTQ+ community as it displays inclusivity, along with terms of sexual orientation, gender and race. Love, Simon heartily conveys that everyone deserves a great love story!