Not All Oreos are Great

Advertisements of Oreo flavor varieties

Advertisements of Oreo flavor varieties

Advertisements of Oreo flavor varieties

Alexis Villa, Senior Writer

‘Milk’s favorite cookie’ has a variety of creative and fun flavors. With each flavor the advertisement image on the front of the box changes. Some of these changes include a piece of red velvet cake and a birthday cake with candles. Regardless of the change in flavor and the box’s advertisements, each box remains visually appealing.

Four different kinds of the cookie were reviewed, red velvet, birthday cake, mega stuf, and chocolate Oreos. The red velvet Oreos were created to taste like a slice of red velvet cake, including cream cheese filling. The birthday cake Oreos were created to taste like a birthday cake. The mega stuf Oreos were created to give the individual’s whose favorite part of the cookie was the cream filling, more of what they love. The chocolate Oreos were created as an interesting twist the the typically vanilla filling, yet give chocolate lovers an entirely chocolate sandwich cookie.

The red velvet Oreos were extremely appealing both to eyes and taste buds, the cookies were a deep red color with cream cheese filling. The birthday cake Oreos obtained the same appearance of traditional Oreos but had multi colored specks representing sprinkles in frosting on cake. The mega stuf Oreos had the traditional Oreo appearance with four times the traditional amount of cream in between the sandwich cookies. The chocolate Oreos had chocolate cream in between the sandwich cookies with a double stuff amount.

The red velvet Oreos, while an enticing idea did not taste as expected. There was a minimal red velvet flavor and the cream cheese filling was overwhelming. The birthday cake Oreos, while having the most appealing advertisement on the front of the box, tasted of heavy white frosting on a birthday cake. The mega stuf Oreos had a heaping amount of cream and the sweetness was therefore overwhelming. The chocolate Oreos while having the least creative appearance tasted of chocolate but just the right amount paired with the chocolate sandwich cookies surrounding.

I would not recommend the red velvet Oreos based on the overbearing cream cheese flavor and lacking red velvet flavor. I would not recommend the birthday cake Oreos because of the overwhelming heavy frosting taste and lack of cake taste. I would not recommend the mega stuf Oreos based on the heaping amount of cream in between the sandwich cookies providing a too sweet taste of more cream than cookies. I would highly recommend the chocolate Oreos based on the just right taste of chocolate to make the entirely chocolate sandwich cookies not too rich or overwhelming.