Walk-Up Songs: How Are They Chosen?

Magdalena Ellett, Sophomore Writer

Among high school sports, baseball is a very popular sport. As the crowd is watching the game begin to start, everyone hears different songs playing for every player. Have you ever wondered what the songs were and why all of them are so different?  Coach Wieda stated that a walk-up song is, “A song that ideally represents a specific player or image. It either motivates or builds the adrenaline in the player to get excited in the moment as well as being entertainment for the fans.”

Picking walk-up songs is either super easy, or a bit more challenging for some players. Picking a song that you want to represent and hype you up before the start of a game is something that matters to each individual player. In an interview with Jack Mueller, a current baseball player at DePaul College Prep, he stated, “I chose my walk-up song because it is a song I have liked since I was ten and it kind of brings me back to why I started playing.” I then asked him what the process for picking a walk-up song was like and he replied, “ You do not really think about it until your begin listening to the song you want.” Zach Burhans, another baseball player for the DePaul College Prep team, also had a similar answer and claimed, “Really, it is just something you like or something that means something special to you.”

Rules and guidelines are an important part of every sport. I went directly to Coach Wieda, one of the head coaches of the DePaul College Prep baseball team, in order to get a bit more insight on whether or not there are rules set for choosing a walk-up song.

“We would like it to be appropriate, the song is partially for the fans and we want to make sure we understand the demographic of our fans and that it is appropriate. The point of a walk-up song is for fun, not to offend anyone.” Following that, I asked if he has ever personally had to reject someone’s walk-up song. “Personally, I have not. But, I have had teammates and I have had other players where our fellow coaches have told them to reconsider their song.”

Walk-up songs are always a very enjoyable way to start off the games. Getting both the players and the fans excited for the start of the game is very important. Although it is not a hard process picking a song for the players, it was very interesting to learn and find differences in how players approach picking their songs.