The Secret Athletic Abilities of DePaul Prep Teachers

Ms. Escarpita and her high school softball team

Alyssa Brandon, Senior Writer

At DePaul College Prep, there are many teachers who are known, talented athletes, such as Coach Althoff, Coach Haas, and Mr. Niemiec, but there are so many DePaul Prep teachers with secret athletic abilities. I interviewed three DePaul Prep teachers, Ms. Gumin, Mr. Dwyer, and Mrs. Escarpita and asked them what secret athletic abilities they have.

Ms. Gumin began taking ice skating lessons in middle school after watching ice skating in the Olympics and falling in love with the sport. Unfortunately, after hurting herself while doing a ballet jump on the ice, she became nervous about continuing the sport, and when her parents saw the disinterest, she stopped taking lessons. When asked if she still wished she had continued to take ice skating lessons, Ms. Gumin said that she wished she had continued the sport and even considered taking up lessons again, but could not due to scheduling and time constraints.

Mr. Dwyer  started playing basketball for his grammar school team in fifth grade, and continued to play for Marquette High School in Milwaukee. Mr. Dwyer decided to play basketball after falling in love with the sport in fourth grade because he would always play everyday with his friends. He even said sometimes Mr. Dwyer and his friends would skip lunch just so they could spend more time playing basketball and practice their dribbling and passing skills. Unfortunately, Mr. Dwyer did not continue to play basketball in college because he attended Boston College, which is a D1 school and Mr. Dwyer felt that he would not be able to play at that level. Mr. Dwyer considered trying to walk-on to the team, which means the athlete can become part of the team without being recruited, but felt that it would be a huge commitment and he wanted to focus on school. He still played intramural sports with a group of friends he had made and they even won the championship their sophomore year. When asked what he loved about the sport of basketball, Mr. Dwyer said he loved the team aspect of basketball and the way everyone worked together and communicated with each other. He also said his favorite thing to do on the court was to throw a nice pass to somebody that the defense was not expecting to be open. Mr. Dwyer said a lot of people can score, but I think passing is a very underrated skill.    

The last teacher I interviewed was Mrs. Escarpita. She started playing softball her sophomore year in high school and continued to play until her senior year. Mrs. Escarpita was motivated to join softball because her father loved the sport and he saw her as the son he never had. When asked what she loved about softball, Mrs. Escarpita said she really loved the structure and discipline in the game. Mrs. Escarpita did not play softball all four years of high school because her freshman year of high school, she went to a all girls school on the Southside and the distance made it difficult for her to join sports. Her sophomore year of high school, she transferred to Benito Juarez High School, her neighborhood public high school. She played all three years and even won the City Championship her first year playing. She said her teammates and coach motivated her to continue the sport and she fell in love with it.

You never know what teacher may have played sports in high school or college. There are so many DePaul Prep teachers who are athletic and played interesting sports, so don’t be afraid to ask around!