How Bench Warmers Really Feel About Their Sport

Jessica Alva, Senior Writer

Bench warmers at DePaul College Prep and Lane Tech give a tell all exclusive about how they feel about their sport and not being able to play. They revealed in this interview if they still had passion for their said sport and how they feel about their teammates playing instead of them. 

For this interview I asked several bench warmers how they felt about their sport and not being able to play. Dayanara, a soccer player for DePaul College Prep, had to say this when I asked her how it felt seeing her teammates play during a game and not herself, she answered, “Well, to be honest, I’m not much of a competitive person, so when I see [my teammates] on the field I kind of just try and cheer them on, especially if we’re close friends. Otherwise I just think it’s good for them, I don’t really take it as [competition] within the team.” When asking Emma, a basketball player from Lane Tech, the same question, she had a slightly different response, Emma says, “I guess I get a little angry [about not being able to play], I mean, we all work so hard on the team and I get that not everyone can play, but I don’t think I’m the worst player ever so there’s that. I just need to keep improving my skills.” I went on to ask Kate, a volleyball player from Lane Tech, if not getting a lot of playing time makes her feel less passionate about the sport, she replied, “No, [of course not]. I still really enjoy volleyball as a sport. I want to try and improve [my skills] so I can be out there playing [with my teammates]. Which differs from what Dayanara had to say about the same question. She says, “At the beginning it doesn’t [make me less passionate], because you will just work harder and get better. But then towards the end [of the season] if you still see no change you start to question it a lot”. I went on to ask Emma if she ever feels as though she should be out playing on the court rather than some of her teammates, to which she replied, “I feel that way a lot of times but I know that arguing with my coach is a for sure way of not getting any playing time, so I make sure to work on myself at practice”. To end the interview on a slightly humorous note , I asked the girls what they talk about on the bench to which they all replied “Gossip.”

Overall, bench warmers are there for their teammates. Bench warmers try to improve their skills at practice, spending hours upon hours improving their skill set in hopes of being able to one day play. They all still have passion for their sport regardless if they’re playing or not and want to prove to others that they can play just as well as some of their teammates. Bench warmers are a major part of their team as they encourage their teammates on the sidelines by cheering them on.