BSU and Black History Month Music!

Rafaella Ambrosio, Editor of Features and Photos

Black History Month, also known as African American History month, is the annual celebration of achievements by African Americans and recognizing their importance and role in Th United States’ history. This month, to commemorate these high achievers, DePaul Prep’s own BSU club, Black Student Union, has been gifting us with music from black artists during our school days. The song title is first introduced by the composer/artist and accompanied by a brief history of the artist. For example, this is one of the announcements that we heard in the early morning which was written by a BSU member and announced by Ms. Merkl-Deutsch:

“We continue our focus on the African American icons of jazz music today by learning about Billie Holiday.  Billie Holiday was born on April 7, 1915, in Baltimore, Maryland. She was an American jazz musician and singer-songwriter with a career spanning nearly thirty years. Holiday was discovered by a producer at the age of 18. She cut her first record in 1933, which soon made her a major star of the Harlem Renaissance movement.  Billie Holiday broke down barriers of racial segregation, becoming the first black woman to work with a white orchestra in 1938. Holiday also released 38 charting singles during her career. She was inducted into the National Women’s Hall of Fame in 2011.  Billie Holiday lived for 44 years and left a legacy in Jazz music with her emotional vocal and depth of musical expression that continues to influence music today.”

Through the announcements, students were able to learn more about artists such as Ella Fitzgerald and Michael Jackson. As Dominic Adu, a junior member of BSU, so graciously likes to put it, “BSU had been playing different genres of Music to represent the African-American community. These different genres consist of R&B, Soul, and hip-hop. In my opinion, this serves as a way of commemorating the great African-American artists that have done well for our community. I believe as Student Government President, that this is a way to express different cultures within our DePaul Prep community…”

Keep up the good work BSU!