DePaul Prep Honors Gordon Tech Alumni, Tom Kleinschmidt, By Retiring Jersey

John Mueller, Sophomore Writer

During Friday’s Basketball game against Conference Rivals Fenwick, DePaul Prep retired Gordon Tech Alum, Tom Kleinschmidt’s (Class of ‘91) number 34 jersey.

Coach Kleinschmidt’s playing career stands for itself. He played at the school from 1987-1991 and holds the Gordon Tech all-time record in points and rebounds. Coach Kleinschmidt led the 1990 Rams to a State Runner-Up run and was also named a McDonald’s All American. At DePaul University, Mr. Kleinschmidt became the first ever Blue Devil to be named Conference Player of the Year, he was also a three-time All-Conference Selection. After DePaul, Mr. Kleinschmidt played abroad for 12 Seasons, enjoying stints in Venezuela, Italy, and Japan. In 2012 Coach Kleinschmidt was named as the Head Coach for the Gordon Tech Rams, his alma mater. On the 15th of December, Mr, Kleinschmidt recorded his 100th Win as Head Coach of the Rams.

Aside from Basketball, Mr. Kleinschmidt’s commitment to DePaul Prep is immeasurable, as he is the Director of Admissions for the school as well as handling many other tasks on a day to day basis. Recently, the Tom Kleinschmidt endowed scholarship was created in his name. On the DePaul Prep website, the scholarship is described as “(The) Tom Kleinschmidt Endowed Scholarship which will be awarded to students who exhibit Tom’s spirit, passion, and commitment to DePaul College Prep.”

“It’s humbling, a bit embarrassing…We’ve had Olympic Athletes and NFL players come out of Gordon Tech, as well as professional basketball and soccer players… I think there are others that are just as deserving of this honor but obviously, it’s a great feeling.” Coach Kleinschmidt said on Thursday before the game.

The game, however, was not the perfect encore everyone had hoped. DePaul Prep fell to the Fenwick Friars by a score of 61-51 in a highly energetic and competitive affair.