Girls Varsity Basketball Heads to Senior Night

Grace O’Neill, Freshman Writer

The girls varsity basketball team is having their final home game and senior night on Thursday, January 25th at 6:00 pm against Willows Academy, as posted on Schoology. The game will be hosted in the gymnasium at DePaul Collage Prep. This is not only their last home game, but for many seniors, their final season playing with their team. As they brace themselves for what awaits after high school and graduation, senior night allows for them to feel a sense of acknowledgement and pride in their hard work and dedication .

At this event the lady Rams will be walked down the court by their parents. The parents escort them to the center of the gymnasium as their teammates surround them. Once they reach the middle of the gym head coach Althoff will hand them flowers and another gift. Along with the gifts from coach Althoff, they will also receive a gift basket from myself and other team mates. The gifts baskets will hold present thats relate to college and other things that the players enjoy. After all of the seniors have finished walking, they will exit off the court with their parents. When the mini ceremony has ended, the final home game of the season will start. In the crowd, many of their team mates will have made signs and will be cheering on the seniors in their final game. Although Thursday is focused on the seniors, I had asked head coach Althoff how she believed the season had gone along with the growth she had in her players through the years. Her response was, “It is crazy to think that this group of girls are in their final season of basketball. Since coaching at the JV and now Varsity level, I have seen them all grow in so many ways. The support for each other that this group has as a whole is what I love most about them. They pick each other up, push each other in practice, and are each other’s biggest cheerleaders. In this season particularly, they have grown together. They are realizing that this is it, the last month of high school basketball. With that in mind, they are growing closer and ending their season together. I will miss this group tremendously.”

While the girls basketball season is now ending, they have had a very successful program with the record of  17-5 . Although this is the last home game, the team will be continuing on for several tournaments over of the course of a month. These tournaments will be to compete for high titles. With their current record and determination, it seems likely the varsity girls have a promising chance at winning. Although these tournaments are vital for the future, it is important for the team to celebrate their current success on Thursday, and honor the seniors for all of their hard work through out the years.